Over 2MM Sellers in 10 countries (and growing) depend on the Amazon Marketplace Listings Platform to list their products for sale on Amazon.com to more than 200M customers (and growing) around the world.
Located in Tempe, AZ, my team provides APIs that manage the ingest of millions of listing requests per day in a horizontally scalable, secure and durable manner. We also provide asynchronous orchestration for dozens of internal Amazon Partners that rely on our platform to compose work on behalf of our Sellers ensuring that the right data is routed to the right Partner at the right time.
In addition, we serve internal tenants that make up some of the flagship Amazon brands you know and love such as Kindle, Audible, Amazon Fresh, and Zappos.
Together with our Sellers, internal tenants and Amazon Partners, we power the Amazon flywheel driving earth’s largest selection, lowest prices and availability. Over 55% of Amazon units sold flow through our platform and our job doesn’t end there. From exposing APIs that help our Sellers list, manage and fulfill their inventory to serving the secure ingest and workflow needs of various teams across the Amazon ecosystem, our mission is to provide the most innovative, scalable, and reliable systems in the world.
We’re looking for Software Development Engineers (SDEs) with at least 5 years of software development experience across the software development lifecycle. If you are fanatical about your customers and an owner that is passionate about distributed computing at true cloud scale, please read on.
At Amazon, we own our customer experience which starts with every line of code you write. Building on AWS services you may already be familiar with, you will start with the customer and work backwards to design and deliver innovative new features that make listing on Amazon as frictionless for our Sellers as possible. Joining a team that upon hitting sprint goals, reaches for even higher velocity and greater customer impact, you will collaborate with peers to maintain a high bar on engineering excellence ensuring that your code and tests meet your team’s definition of done. Relentlessly focused on scale and continuous improvement, you will consider the cost and trade-offs of implementing one feature over another and commit every 3 weeks to delivering on shared goals while releasing new software to Production several times a week/day.
At Amazon, we also own our team’s operations. As a member of our team, you will focus on the health of your platform, APIs and components. Working with state-of-the-art monitoring infrastructure, you’ll focus on ensuring the platform is humming along by adopting an ambient operational mindset, challenging anomalies by diving deep and when there is a problem, you’ll be a member of rotation of first responders responsible for mitigating customer impact within minutes and identifying root cause and proposing long-term remediation for eradicating recurring root causes.
At Amazon, we are:
- Entrepreneurial –We build solutions for all Sellers, regardless of size.
- Innovative – Our problem space evolves every day due to scale, new categories and new geographies. There is no playbook for a Marketplace of this size, so innovation and creativity are a must.
- Passionate – We are passionate about our customers, both Sellers and Buyers. Everyone’s an owner at Amazon, and our team is no exception. Our business is growing fast and the pace is even faster.
- Leaders – We recognize the desire for people to lead, whether it is the development of a new feature or ownership of a new category. We invest in our team members, providing challenging roles with significant responsibility. Coaching and mentoring is taken seriously to ensure we continue to build a company we can be extremely proud of.
The ideal candidate will have a mix of strong soft and technical skills:
Desirable Soft Skills
- Strong sense of ownership, urgency, and drive.
- Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Attention to detail coupled with ability to think abstractly.
- Excellent communication and analytical skills.
- B.S. in Computer Science or a related field.
- Demonstrated ability to achieve stretch goals in a highly innovative and fast paced environment.
Desirable Technical Skills
- Sharp analytical abilities and proven design skills.
- Experience building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers.
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
- Experience building scalable infrastructure software or distributed systems for commercial online services.
- Experience with AWS services EC2, Dynamo, SQS, SWF, etc., or other cloud compute-based services and platforms.
- Strong OO development skills with Java or C#
- Working, hands-on knowledge of design patterns, SOLID design principles and experience developing Unit Tests using tools such as JUnit to verify your code quality.
If this sounds like your ideal team, and you want to work hard, have fun and make history, I’d love to speak with you. Please drop me a note via my blog, hit me up on twitter or message me on LinkedIn.
AWS, Marketplace and Prime are all examples of bold bets at Amazon that worked, and we’re fortunate to
have those three big pillars – Jeff Bezos, in his latest Letter to Shareholders
In Jeff Bezo’s most recent letter to shareholders, Marketplace was listed among the top 3 businesses alongside Prime and AWS receiving over a page of copy. Click here or below to download.